Monday, August 30, 2010

Hug Your Kid Today

Do you ever have the urge to blog more when so many emotions are in a whirlwind within? I have so many things spinning around in my head, and sometimes it helps to pull them all together when I can write them down. However, sometimes when I blog, my every emotion comes pouring out, and that doesn't always bode well for me either. I know that I'm rambling, but I'm trying to configure what I should and shouldn't blog about.

Since my emotions have just drastically changed within just seconds of beginning this blog, I want to share a story with you. My sister in law posted on her facebook page today, "I just lived through a parents worst nightmare, hug your kid today and tell them you love them." It seems as though there was a shooting today at our nieces school in Tennessee. Apparently a guy came to the school and pulled a gun on the principle. After all was said and done, the cops shot the guy down, and he died.

It happens all around us, but we never think it's something that can possibly happen to us, but today it happened in our nieces school. I can't begin to imagine the scare, and the fear of the students, parents, and workers. I can't fathom, and honestly I don't want to, how I would feel in this very situation. All I know is the little things we grumble about everyday, all of sudden seem a little less important.

Matt and I were talking about the movie "The Book Of Eli" with some friends of ours the other night. In the movie, everyday things we take for granted, everyday things we simply throw in the trash, are a luxury. Books are not readily available, t.v. doesn't exist, water is scarce, and even God's written word can't be found. I can't imagine a time when money wasn't of use, a time where a bar soap was worth more than a brick of Gold, and even more so, a time without God's word. At least we could then be more appreciative of what we have. At least then we could truly be thankful for every thing that God has given us.

I'm sure my brother in law and his wife are having one of those days right now. Appreciating their daughters voice a little more than they did the day before. I'm sure the latest cell phone is not the thing that is most on their mind right now. I guarantee that today, they said 'Thank You Jesus" a few more times than they did yesterday.

It has been a tough few weeks, I know emotions have been spinning round, but God is the one constant that keeps me moving forward. God constantly reminds why he has placed me where I am. I have watched my church family pull together, help each other, pray for each other, and be what a church family is suppose to be for each other. I don't expect anyone to be perfect, because I am far from perfect myself. We love each other for who we are, and that includes our every imperfection. As my Sister In Law said, Hug your kid and tell them you love them, and be thankful that God has given us another day.

No comments:

Zach and Abby's Baptism