Saturday, August 7, 2010

WHAT VACATION MEANS TO ME.........

va·ca·tion (v-kshn, v-)
n.
1. A period of time devoted to pleasure, rest, or relaxation, especially one with pay granted to an employee.

It has been an amazing week. We weren't able to take a big trip to Walt Disney World, or go to Mexico, but we truly enjoyed the actual meaning of vacation. Honestly, when is the last time your family took an actual vacation. With no worries, no packing or unpacking, just time to hang out together as a family. A carefree week, not having to watch the clock, or answer a phone, no alarm clocks.

I don't know about you, but sometimes I feel the peer pressure of big vacations, traveling long distances and spending a lot of money. Seriously, when someone asks you what you did on vacation, they don't really want to hear about the fact that you didn't go anywhere. But truth is, we do not have a lot of money. So, with what "cash" money we did have, we enjoyed everyday here at home. OK, we did go to Tulsa one day, but we also had to visit our friends in the hospital.

So why was home so amazing?
1. First of all, I have an amazing family that I love to be around, that alone makes being home enjoyable.

2. My son opened my car door for me, almost everyday this week. (He told me that his Daddy taught him well.)

3. I listened to my kids laughter through 2 entire movies (Despicable Me and Diary of Wimpy Kid). I love to hear them laugh and play together.

4. Anytime was the right time for Ice Cream, or a Sno Cone, Candy, or Nacho's.

5. My kids spent an entire day in Tulsa with us, and when we finally got to a WalMart at 11pm, to get the toy they had been waiting for all day, The Wal-Mart was out of stock. My kids didn't complain one time about waiting til the next day to go to another Wal-Mart.

6. On the way home from Tulsa, my daughter asked us to turn off the radio. She wanted to hear daddy and mama sing silly songs. We turned on the ipod and we all sang and laughed half the way home. The windows were rolled down, and were singing extremely loud while going through a toll booth. It was priceless.

7. We were able to bond with my family, more than we ever have in our 14 years together. What a blessing it will be for me to attend church tomorrow with my younger brother at HIS church.

8. People watching, made it possible for us to talk more about Jesus with our kids. What is the right and wrong way to try to reach people for Christ.

OK.........so I could go on. But I think you get the point. It's not about where you go or how much money you spend. It is about relaxing and bonding with each other. I truly feel that my family did that. I am so thankful for this time that he has given us. Time to refresh our minds and rest our bodies. So slow down, take time to listen to your kids laugh. Take time to have a jam session in the car, play a little air guitar, and air drums, with the windows rolled down. I promise it is moments like these that you will cherish forever. I want to thank my family for a wonderful week. Without you, life would be boring. I love them more than they will ever know.

No comments:

Zach and Abby's Baptism