Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My Gay Friend................

Some of you have already been offended by reading the title, yet you feel intrigued to go on and read whatever it is I have to say. Some of you have already made up your minds that whatever I have to say is going to be somewhat offensive. Some of you probably think that since I had a gay friend that I must think it is OK to be Gay. However you would be wrong. I did not agree with his lifestyle, but there were things in his life that I agreed with that I do not see in a lot of christian people today. He was friends with everyone. Men that were straight and married, married women, single women, single men, gay people, christian people. I sat and looked around at his packed out funeral, and realized he was real with everyone. If you wanted to talk church to him, he would sit and listen. He often talked about wanting to go to church. Just a week before he died me and another friend of mine had a long conversation with him about heaven and hell. Do you think he would have listened if wouldn't have given him the time of day before then. People felt comfortable inviting him to church, despite his non practicing lifestyle. He was a friend to everyone, and everyone felt as though they had truly lost a friend. If we as christians are not friends with the sinners, then who will witness to them. If you try to witness to them without being their friend, do you really think they will listen. I like people to be real with me. It is not biblical to talk about people behind their backs and pretend to be their friend to their face. It's time we learn something, we are going to have to eat with sinners and communicate with sinners. How else with they truly know who we are and want we have got, if we are not around them enough to show them. If we don't ask them everyday how they are doing, or being concerned when something seems wrong. When I die, I want a room full of friends at my funeral. A room full of christians and sinners, that hopefully when I die something that I did or said while I lived will live in their hearts and somehow grow. I wonder if Johnny remembered our conversation about heaven and hell in his last minutes of his life. Was he thinking about the words I said, that the only way any of us will truly know if it's real is when we die, and I hoped he had a chance to make it right with God because I wanted him to find that heaven was a real place. I hope that one coversation, may have been enough to change his life for eternity. What conversations will you have in the coming week that you hope someone will remember in their final days? What will you do for a sinner to show the love of Christ?

2 comments:

Matt said...

well said...

Cara said...

You are so right, Angie. I wish all Christians believed this way!

Zach and Abby's Baptism