Thursday, July 24, 2008

What if God asked you..........

What if God asked you to drop everything and move? Change everything you know and are familiar with to follow God's will. Only a few would say yes. Matt and I have had that same discussion this week. I wish we were financially stable enough to go to Massachusetts's with Ryan and Christy, is what he said. My stomach turned a few times, because I love being around my family. They are good to my kids, they are always there if we need them, we are always there for them if they need us. We are 8 years into a 30 year mortgage, and well on our way to owning our house. I know it's not a big house, but it is our house and almost 1/3 of the way into owning it. I kept asking myself could I really make that sacrifice? Would I truly be able to pack up everything, and move hours away from a place I have lived in for 34 years? I find myself truly thinking about this.
Here is the kicker, I had just finished reading a chapter in Francis Chan's book, asking that very same question. How deep is your love for Christ? Going to church or reading your bible should not be a chore. Helping people in need should not be a chore. The bible explains that what you do for someone, even if you give them a drink of water, it is like you are reaching out and giving a drink to Christ. How many times have we looked Christ in the face, and turned our heads, unwilling to share what we own, unwilling to feed the hungry, unwilling to move if God asked you to do so. How much do you truly love Christ? Anyway, that evening, my husband asked if I had read Ryan's blog. I said no, I will read it right now. Ryan's dream life would be that Matt and I would serve with them in the ministry, along with a long list of friends. You can read his blog if you like (mercyhouseryan). How crazy is that, I just read the book a few hours before, now there is a blog mentioning what life would be like if we are in Massachussete's with Ryan and Christy.
I found myself at a stand still. I think I love Christ with all of my heart, but would I be able to show my love for him by moving if he asked me to? It truly humbled me to stop and think about all that I had just taken in. I know lately I have been thinking about that very idea. My problem is that I am so set on God using me right here, so that I can be comfortable, in my nice comfortable home, around all of the comforts of family and friends, around everything that I am familiar with. Where is my faith? I don't believe that it is something I need as much in my very familiar surroundings.
Our friends Ryan and Christy, wow, what love you have for Christ? For so many years I thought you were running from life, but instead you are embracing your love for Christ. Your willingness to go where comfort is not, it blessed my heart. I admire the depth of your love for Christ. I admire your willingness to follow God's will, no matter how far it takes you, no matter what obstacles stand in your way. I have such a great understanding of what you guys do, and pray that I too will be more open to God's will in my life. I never realized what a brick wall I had set before God. My desire is to open all doors before Christ, to be willing to follow his will at all costs.
Our prayers are with our friends as they journey to Massachusetts's. Be in prayer, they need to sell their house in Virginia very quickly. Also pray, that any brick walls you have set before God will fall. How will you express your love for Christ this year, or even this week?

1 comment:

Cara said...

I love it when you get fired up! :)
Your heart is pure and passionate to serve Christ in this world. God is using you in a mighty way!

Reckless love for Christ is contagious! Thanks for giving me the bug! ;)

We love you guys so much! You are truly blessings to my family.

Zach and Abby's Baptism