Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I Love My Church

A little over two years ago, I found myself hurt by church. I didn't want to go to church, I didn't want to pray or read my bible. Questions were encamped in my brain, is this what church is really suppose to be like? Should anyone ever feel not accepted at any church? I wore the right clothes, I rarely missed a service, I was actively involved in the church, I paid my tithes. Why did I feel so left out, and so disconnected from what was suppose to be God's people.
My friend once told me that her mom said to her, if you can't live close to family, find a good church where you live and they will be your family. I did not feel this way. I did not feel as though I was surrounded by family. When I think of family, I think of people that are going to love you no matter what. People that are there to help pick you up when you are down. People that can be your strength when you are weak. People that want to share life with you, laugh with you, cry with you, and pray with you.
I am reminded every March 31st, on my husbands birthday, of this low point in our life. No, not because it's my husbands birthday, but because it is also the same day that Shane and Mary's son passed away. It's been three years now, since little Nate passed away. I would love to say that I can tell you all of these wonderful stories about Nate, but truth is I had only met Nate once or twice. I do not think it is a coincidence that this happened on Matt's birthday, because it always stands as a reminder of where we were headed and where God has brought us to today.
You may be wondering what does Nate have to do with this story. As Shane and Mary know I can make a long story out of this, but I will try to give you the short version. Shane coached our son's t-ball team. We did not know Shane, honestly we did not know at first that he was a pastor. We knew he was a Christ follower, but was not your ordinary Pocola, OK pastor in a suit and tie. He was a normal Dad involved in his kid's lives. During the first weeks of t-ball practice, Nate got sick. In a very short period of time Nate was gone. Zach and Sammy were in class together, we offered to help get him to t-ball games and we began to watch a couple in the days and months to come, cope with the loss of their son. Matt and I were attending church, and had been attending the same church since the day we got married.
One reason we had never changed churches, we just didn't know of a place we really wanted to go to. Watching Shane and Mary over the course of the year after their sons loss, sparked something inside of me. I told my husband, I need to take our kids some where, so I'm going to take them to FBC on Sunday. The kids had attended VBS there and really liked it, so I thought we should try it. I came home energized, and constantly talking about the service and the people. Many of which are still with us at Fuel. They made me feel welcome from day one, and I knew that is where God wanted me to be. However, I am not the head of our home, luckily my spark, sparked something in my husband and together we went. I remember one Sunday Morning, we sat in service after a few short weeks, and my husband passed me a note that said, I am as sure that this is where we are suppose to be as I was sure about marrying you. We joined the church that day, and Mary hugged me afterwards and said, " I knew today was the day."
Every March 31st, I am reminded of the purpose of that little boys life. Every March 31st, I am reminded that God has placed us where we are suppose to be. We love our church. I have never experienced church in quite this way. People growing together in Fuel Cells, actually helping people through life, no matter what they have done or where they come from. This church is more my family, than anyone has ever been in my life. It is the love of Christ that flows through the people, that lifted me up when I was down.
God confirmed to us one night in Shane and Mary's living room, that we were to serve together with them, and that is what we are here to do. God once again reminded me, that we are here to serve and be whatever we need to be for our pastor's and for our church family. I love my church, and the love they show to me and my family daily.

No comments:

Zach and Abby's Baptism