Thursday, January 15, 2009

Proverbs Day 11

Day Four of Week Two....


Read Proverbs 4:1-9 today, marking my son, heart, instruction, teaching, understanding, commandments, and wisdom. These key words appear throughout Proverbs. Consider starting a running list of everything you learn about these words throughout your study of the book of Proverbs. Several other themes run through the book, so as you see them cropping up again, you can compile lists of everything you learn in all the chapters of Proverbs...

Pro 4:1 Hear, O sons, a father's instruction, and be attentive, that you may gain insight,
Pro 4:2 for I give you good precepts; do not forsake my teaching.
Pro 4:3 When I was a son with my father, tender, the only one in the sight of my mother,
Pro 4:4 he taught me and said to me, "Let your heart hold fast my words; keep my commandments, and live.
Pro 4:5 Get wisdom; get insight; do not forget, and do not turn away from the words of my mouth.
Pro 4:6 Do not forsake her, and she will keep you; love her, and she will guard you.
Pro 4:7 The beginning of is this: Get wisdom, and whatever you get, get insight.
Pro 4:8 Prize her highly, and she will exalt you; she will honor you if you embrace her.
Pro 4:9 She will place on your head a graceful garland; she will bestow on you a beautiful crown."

Now go back and read Proverbs 1:1
Pro 1:1 The proverbs of Solomon, son of David, king of Israel:
and note the author: Solomon

Read Proverbs 4:3
When I was a son with my father, tender, the only one in the sight of my mother,

2Samuel 12:142Sa 12:14 Nevertheless, because by this deed you have utterly scorned the LORD, the child who is born to you shall die."

1 Chronicles 14:3-4 1Ch 14:3 And David took more wives in Jerusalem, and David fathered more sons and daughters.
1Ch 14:4 These are the names of the children born to him in Jerusalem: Shammua, Shobab, Nathan, Solomon,


Leave a comment answering the following questions.....

Can you figure out the author's father and mother?

Was he the only son his mother?


In light of these verses, what does "the only son in the sight of my mother" mean?

What do your think?

What actions does the author urge?

....now make a list of each acdtion and list the benefits of each action in a second column.

Do you want these benefits?

I will post my answers in the comments section. Do not read the comments until you have formed your own answers and opinions. I hope this will help you get into the study a little more, and not just read what I have studied. Leave your prayer requests in the comments section, click subscribe if you would like to be emailed when I post my blogs.

A prayer request was posted:
Please pray for Max and Lucia. Max needs healing and Lucia needs peace and strength. please keep them both in your prayers.

Continue to pray for me, I still lack a voice and hearing. Zach is much better, thanks for praying for him.

Continue to pray for Miranda and Melissa in their search for a job.

Pray for my brother David, he will be moving to Tulsa to take on a promotion.

3 comments:

adduke said...

The mother and father of Solomon is Bathsheba and David.

I know he is not the only son of David, I'm not sure about Bathsheba. I'm still searching for the answer.

I read a commentary by Matthew Henry that stated both David and Bathsheba had favour with Solomon. They were very strict on him, and he was the heir to the crown.

Actions:
Embrace Her: She will Honor You
Prize her Highly: She will exalt you
Do not forsake her: And she will keep you
Love Her: And She will guard you

What I love about this passage is that it gives you an image of a child receiving instruction from his parents. Visualize in your mind, that is us. We are those children needing instruction from our father. We should be sitting here with eyes open wide, sitting before him listening to everything he has to say. It's time to get back to being a kid, and allowing Christ to lead us and not us lead us. We don't expect our 5 year olds to go out and buy a house, we have to nurture them, and teach them, and prepare them. Jesus is doing the same for us, if we will just let him.

adduke said...

Now that I have had my blond moment and dug a little deeper in the word with my hubby,
1Ch 3:5 These were born to him in Jerusalem: Shimea, Shobab, Nathan and Solomon, four by Bath-shua, the daughter of Ammiel;

Bathsheba had four kids. Matthew Henry's commentary stated that David and Bathsheba both favoured Solomon. "Observe, (1.) His parents loved him, and therefore taught him: I was my father's son. David had many sons, but Solomon was his son indeed, as Isaac is called (Gen_17:19) and for the same reason, because on him the covenant was entailed. He was his father's darling, above any of his children. God had a special kindness for Solomon (the prophet called him Jedidiah, because the Lord loved him, 2Sa_12:25), and for that reason David had a special kindness for him, for he was a man after God's own heart. If parents may ever love one child better than another, it must not be till it plainly appears that God does so. He was tender, and only beloved, in the sight of his mother. Surely there was a manifest reason for making such a distinction when both the parents made it."

Let me know what you think.

adduke said...

Matt suggests that he was the fourth and last child born to Bathsheba and thinks it is possible he was the only one there. He was the baby of the family and got more attention because he was the only one there.

Zach and Abby's Baptism