Monday, January 19, 2009

Proverbs Day 15

Week Three
As An Ox Goes
To The Slaughter

Today is only 14 verses, we can do it. God I pray as we do today's study that you open our hearts and minds to hear what we need to hear and to store it in our hearts. Give us wisdom to use the word that you have given us today. We thank you for this day, and thank you for your word. AMEN

Enticed by persuasions, seduced by flattering lips, the young man lacking sense is led away by an adulteress like an ox to the slaughter. He doesn't stand a chance because he didn't treat wisdom as his sister or understanding as his friend.

Read Proverbs 5:1-14 today, marking references to the adulteress in red. Add adulteress to your bookmark. As in past chapters, also mark my son.



Pro 5:1 My son, be attentive to my wisdom; incline your ear to my understanding,
Pro 5:2 that you may keep discretion, and your lips may guard knowledge.
Pro 5:3 For the lips of a forbidden woman drip honey, and her speech is smoother than oil,
Pro 5:4 but in the end she is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a two-edged sword.
Pro 5:5 Her feet go down to death; her steps follow the path to Sheol;
Pro 5:6 she does not ponder the path of life; her ways wander, and she does not know it.
Pro 5:7 And now, O sons, listen to me, and do not depart from the words of my mouth.
Pro 5:8 Keep your way far from her, and do not go near the door of her house,
Pro 5:9 lest you give your honor to others and your years to the merciless,
Pro 5:10 lest strangers take their fill of your strength, and your labors go to the house of a foreigner,
Pro 5:11 and at the end of your life you groan, when your flesh and body are consumed,
Pro 5:12 and you say, "How I hated discipline, and my heart despised reproof!
Pro 5:13 I did not listen to the voice of my teachers or incline my ear to my instructors.
Pro 5:14 I am at the brink of utter ruin in the assembled congregation."

In today's study we are to make a list of we learn about adulteresses. Adultery is the key concept in the ten commandments, in the law, and in the New Testament. A subject that is repeated throughout the Bible is probably a very important topic. Sometimes the Bible sues the word adultery literally, referring to physical, sexual sin. At other times, the Bible uses the word adultery metamorphically and addresses Israel's tendency to worship other gods. which subject is being addressed here in Proverbs?

I think in this passage it is a literal meaning. You may think differently, but lets remember that Solomon is pouring out instruction upon his son. I know that if my son, were older I think my husband would advise him how to treat women. What to do and what not to do, what is expected of him as a christian man. I think you have to be literal when explaining these things. Solomon goes into great detail of how easy it is to fall into this sin, how enticing it can be, so enticing that it may not even seem like a bad thing at the time. But through the instruction of his father it can open his eyes to see something before it happens. Kind of like a Caution Flag, danger head. Making him aware that these things are out there, and it his job to make sure that he stays away from it. If he doesn't listen, then he tells him what will happen if he does. There are no great and little sins, only great and little consequences. This sin carries a some very big consequences.

How do you keep yourself from falling into this sin? being attentive to wisdom, (he says to my wisdom) Incline your ear to my understanding. Basically do what I say.

An Adulteress Description:
Her lips drop honey.
Her mouth is smoother than oil.
In the end she is as bitter as wormwood.
Her feet go down to death.
Her steps take hold of Sheol.


One thing that I got from today's study, is the importance of listening to wisdom. Whether that wisdom come from the bible, or maybe that wisdom comes from some one who has been there and done that and they want to prevent us from doing the same. I think God places those people in our lives to give us instruction, to be our wisdom and our understanding on things we may not yet have wisdom and understanding about. Listen to what God has to say, listen to what your elder's have to say, listen to what your pastor and your Sunday School teacher has to say, these are people of wisdom and understanding that God has place in our lives so that we may understand the wisdom and knowledge they have obtained in their lives.

No comments:

Zach and Abby's Baptism