Saturday, January 17, 2009

Proverbs Study Days 12 and 13

Sorry that I am a day behind. I have been trying to rest and heal. Still need your prayers. Zach is better, he is still a little congested, my ears are still ringing and I am congested as well. Matt is not feeling well tonight either. I guess it is spreading through our house. Pray that he and Abby will be OK.

Now...
Read Proverbs 4:10-19 (marking my son, wisdom, and wicked) and then we will list instructions for and benefits of seeking wisdom.

Pro 4:10 Hear, my son, and accept my words, that the years of your life may be many.
Pro 4:11 I have taught you the way of wisdom; I have led you in the paths of uprightness.
Pro 4:12 When you walk, your step will not be hampered, and if you run, you will not stumble.
Pro 4:13 Keep hold of instruction; do not let go; guard her, for she is your life.
Pro 4:14 Do not enter the path of the wicked, and do not walk in the way of the evil.
Pro 4:15 Avoid it; do not go on it; turn away from it and pass on.
Pro 4:16 For they cannot sleep unless they have done wrong; they are robbed of sleep unless they have made someone stumble.
Pro 4:17 For they eat the bread of wickedness and drink the wine of violence.
Pro 4:18 But the path of the righteous is like the light of dawn, which shines brighter and brighter until full day.
Pro 4:19 The way of the wicked is like deep darkness; they do not know over what they stumble.

Instructions and benefits of seeking wisdom:
1.Accept my words-your years will be many
2.Keep Hold Of My Instruction
3.If you walk your steps will not be hampered
4. If you run you will not stumble

Instructions for avoiding wickedness, and list separately characteristics of the wicked.
It says to flat out avoid it, do walk in it, do not follow wickedness.

characteristics of the wicked:
they cannot sleep, they eat and drink wickedness and violence, they walk in darkness and do not know what they stumble over.

contrast the wicked and the righteous:

Wicked / Righteous
Cannot Sleep Rest
They Stumble Do Not Stumble
Walk in Darkness walk in light


Day 13
Read Proverbs 4:20:27 (marking my son, and heart)
Pro 4:20 My son, be attentive to my words; incline your ear to my sayings.
Pro 4:21 Let them not escape from your sight; keep them within your heart.
Pro 4:22 For they are life to those who find them, and healing to all their flesh.
Pro 4:23 Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life.
Pro 4:24 Put away from you crooked speech, and put devious talk far from you.
Pro 4:25 Let your eyes look directly forward, and your gaze be straight before you.
Pro 4:26 Ponder the path of your feet; then all your ways will be sure.
Pro 4:27 Do not swerve to the right or to the left; turn your foot away from evil.

Note the instructions about "my sayings" or "my words" and their value to those who find them.
My words: Be attentive, Let them not escape your sight, and keep them in your heart.

The Value:They are LIFE to those who find them
They are healing to all their flesh

List the body parts that the author mentions and the instructions for each one Summarize how they relate to verse 22.
Ear
Eyes (Sight)
The Flesh
Your Feet
Heart

In order to have life, and healing of the flesh, I think you must honor the Lord with your whole self. Not just with words, not just in hearing, not just in doing, but with all things combined. Sometimes we think it's enough to sit in church and listen, sometimes we think it's enough to be the good guy that walks around helping out his neighbor while never hearing the word, but it's not good enough. We are to worship God with our whole self in order to receive what God has promised in verse 22. If we do not use all that God has given us to direct our path, we will fall into the path of the wicked. If we do not hold dear all that he has told us, we will stumble and fall. If you are thinking that going to church on Sunday morning is enough, your wrong. If that is seriously all that you desire of God, don't be surprised when you fall.

In the book of Proverbs we are given so much instruction, what will happen if you do good, what will happen if your do bad. Inevitably, we will still do bad even though we know what lies ahead. Inevitable we still won't dig deeper in the word, even though we are told the rewards that we will gain. Ask yourself, what am I doing right and what am I doing wrong. Because what is happening in your life, lies in your hands. God gave us instruction, its our choice as to whether or not we choose to follow it.

Prayer Requests:
Max and Lucia needs healing and strength
My family needs healing
Cara's friends who lost her husband
Melissa and Miranda finding a job
My brother is moving to Tulsa
Cindy Grizzle's Mom (Sue Earls)
Finances for my family to go to Massachusetts for a week this summer and help Ryan and Christy with Church planting.

No comments:

Zach and Abby's Baptism